The Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Medical Library Association (PNC/MLA) invites applications for 2 (two) $500 scholarships for students in a library science program enrolled for Fall 2021:
1. A PNC/MLA General Scholarship – one scholarship available
2. A PNC/MLA Scholarship for Underrepresented Students – one scholarship available
To apply please review the eligibility criteria below and submit the required documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note the additional requirement for the PNC/MLA Scholarship for Underrepresented Students listed in point #4 of the Eligibility Criteria.
The application deadline is: 11:59 pm PT, October 25, 2021
- Newly admitted or current student at any ALA accredited graduate library school (Fall 2021).
- Must be resident of US or Canada.
- Student must live in one the states covered by the PNC/MLA Chapter (Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Alberta, British Columbia).
- PNC/MLA Scholarship for Underrepresented Students applicants must be a member of an underrepresented group, such as Black/African-American, Latinx, Asian American, Indigenous, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.
To apply submit the following:
- Include in the body of the email:
- your name
- US state/Canadian province in which you reside
- State in 1 or 2 sentences describe what health sciences librarianship means to you.
- State which scholarship you are applying for.
- Applicants applying for the PNC/MLA Scholarship for Underrepresented Students will automatically be considered for both scholarships.
- If applying for the PNC/MLA Scholarship for Underrepresented Students, please state your ancestries or ethnic origins. Choose all that apply.
- Note: As PNC/MLA seeks to evaluate and expand its outreach to students, we invite all applicants to voluntarily share this information with us.
- Asian American
- Black or African-American
- Indigenous (North American Indian, Alaskan Native, First Nations, Mezzo-American)
- Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
- More than one ancestry or ethnic group
- Other – please describe
5. Attach as a PDF:
- A 250-500-word essay describing your career objectives and how your immediate academic plans will help you attain them.
- Proof of enrollment – unofficial transcript, letter of acceptance, or confirmation letter from school office of student affairs.
- Current resume or CV.
- The following signed and dated affirmation:
I confirm that the information supplied on this application is true and correct to the best of my knowledge, and I understand that misrepresentation may cause denial or withdrawal of the scholarship. I further understand that PNC/MLA may use my name and photo for publicity in relation to this scholarship.
What to Expect:
The online application must be completed and all supporting documents received no later than 11:59 pm PT, October 25, 2021.
- PNC/MLA will acknowledge applications upon receipt via email.
- The recipient will be notified by November 2, 2021.
- Formal announcement will be made at the PNC/MLA virtual conference. Virtual PNC/MLA 2021 Conference attendance is encouraged. The Conference will take place November 4-5 and the registration is free.
- A check for $500 will be sent to the recipients within 3 months of award announcement.
- Depending on the qualifications of the candidates, the committee may recommend that the scholarship not be presented in a given year.